What is An Airsoft Rifle?
What is An Airsoft Rifle?
Airsoft rifles shoot plastic BBs and are usually designed to replicate a real rifle. Compared to airsoft pistols or submachine guns, rifles are larger and designed for longer range shooting. Airsoft rifles are usually primary weapons of any airsoft loadout and are capable of shooting full auto or semi auto. Many beginners starting in Airsoft will typically either start with a pistol or rifle. If you are looking for something more compact than a rifle, then consider our airsoft submachine guns.
- GHK MK18 MOD1 GBBR Airsoft (COLT Licensed) - New Version GHK-GBB-MK18M1Special Price $549.99 Regular Price $599.99
- GHK M4 GBBR Airsoft V2 (12.5 inch COLT Licensed) - Black GHK-GBB-M4-125COLTV2$589.99
- GHK M4 GBBR Airsoft V2 (14.5 inch COLT Licensed) - Black GHK-GBB-M4-145COLTV2$589.99
- GHK AKMS GBBR Airsoft GHK-GBB-AKMS$519.99
- GHK AIMS GBBR Airsoft GHK-GIMS$529.99
- GHK AK105 GBBR Airsoft Out of Stock GHK-GBB-GK105$489.99
- GHK AK74 GBBR Airsoft Out of Stock GHK-GBB-GK74$559.99
- GHK AKM GBBR Airsoft Out of Stock GHK-GBB-AKM$519.99
- GHK AKS74M GBBR Airsoft (Folding Stock) Out of Stock GHK-GBB-GKS74M$449.99
- GHK AKS74U GBBR Airsoft Out of Stock GHK-GBB-GKS74U$489.99
- GHK AK74MN GBBR Airsoft Out of Stock GHK-GBB-GK74MN$489.99
- GHK M4 GBBR Airsoft (Navy Seal, 14.5 inch RAS) - Black Out of Stock GHK-GBB-M4-145V2$559.99
- GHK MK18 MOD1 GBBR Airsoft (Forged Receiver, COLT Licensed) Out of Stock GHK-GBB-MK18M1-FR$629.99
- GHK URGI MK16 GBBR Airsoft (14.5 inch Carbine, Forged Receiver, COLT Licensed) Out of Stock GHK-GBB-URGI145-FR$769.99
- GHK URGI MK16 GBBR Airsoft (10.3 inch, Forged Receiver, COLT Licensed) Out of Stock GHK-GBB-URGI103-FR$729.99
- GHK M4 GBBR Airsoft (Daniel Defense RIS II, COLT Licensed) Out of Stock GHK-GBB-RISII$638.99
- GHK M4 GBBR Airsoft (Daniel Defense RIS II FSP, COLT Licensed) Out of Stock GHK-GBB-RISIIFSP$638.99
- GHK URGI MK16 GBBR Airsoft (10.3 inch) Out of Stock GHK-GBB-URGI103$599.99
- GHK URGI MK16 GBBR Airsoft (14.5 inch Carbine) Out of Stock GHK-GBB-URGI145$639.99
What is An Airsoft Rifle?
What are the Different Types of Airsoft Rifles?
Airsoft rifles also come in a variety of platforms each with their pros and cons.
Spring Rifles- Great for beginners, these affordable airsoft rifles (sometimes referred to as Springers) require manually cocking the gun before each shot, making them simple and cheap to shoot without the need for batteries or gas. Downside is they cannot shoot in semi or full auto.
Electric Rifles - Moving up a notch are Electric Rifles, which are the most popular type of Airsoft rifles. Powered by a gearbox that is similar to a car’s transmission, a battery powered motor turns a series of ratioed gears to compress a spring, which is then released to generate high pressure air to shoot a BB. Electric rifles can be easily upgraded for accuracy, range and power. They perform well in most conditions but are not as engaging to shoot as gas rifles. Wear and tear of mechanical parts requires periodic lubrication and maintenance. For a long day of play, you will need several batteries.
PTW Rifles - PTW rifles are also electric powered but have an entirely different gearbox design than regular electric rifles, which makes them more powerful and higher performance in general. They are highly tuned and require a higher level of proficiency to maintain.
Gas Rifles - The most realistic and most expensive kind of airsoft rifle is the gas blowback rifle. Instead of batteries, they are powered by compressed gas called green gas, which is usually charged into the magazine of the gun. Gas blowback rifles are also the most expensive and require more experience to operate properly, but they are highly engaging to shoot.
CO2 Rifles - Similar to gas rifles except that they are powered by CO2 cartridges stored in the magazine or other part of the rifle. Some rifles can use both green gas and CO2.
HPA Rifles - These rifles are powered by high pressure air, usually fed from an external tank through a tube. While HPA rifles do not offer any blowback and realistic shooting experience, they are extremely powerful and can deliver high rates of fire. Their simple design with few moving parts also makes them very reliable. HPA rifles can be too powerful for many countries and exceed the legal power limit.
What Are The Most Popular Airsoft Rifles?
Airsoft rifles come in a wide range of prices and do not cost more or less than any particular kind of gun. Beginners can consider spring rifles, which generally cost less than USD 100 and have very low running costs because they do not require gas or batteries. At that price, you can also consider an entry level gas blowback pistol. If you can spend USD200 or more, then consider moving up to an electric rifle, but first time buyers will also have to spend extra on batteries and a battery charger. Beginners can consider some of our cheap airsoft rifles. Electric rifles can go all the way up to USD 1000 for high quality or rarer models.
As your budget increases, you can consider gas rifles, CO2 rifles, and HPA rifles, which generally cost more than electric rifles. One of the most expensive rifles you can buy is the PTW airsoft rifle, which is a very high end type of electric rifle made by Systema that is designed for law enforcement training. PTW rifles can shoot at very high power and accuracy, but like an exotic sports car, they require a lot of experience to maintain.
In addition to the cost of the rifle itself, adding many accessories can also increase the total cost. You can install red dot scopes and, lasers for faster aiming, bipods for greater accuracy, and a sling to carry the rifle around when not engaged in combat. Flashlight attachments also make playing at night more interesting. For rifles that have a threaded barrel, consider an airsoft suppressor to make your rifle more quiet, or an airsoft tracer unit that allows you to shoot glow-in-the-dark BB called Tracer BBs. Also invest in a gun bag to safely transport your rifle to and from games.
Are Airsoft Rifles More Expensive Than Other Types of Guns?
Airsoft rifles come in many styles including airsoft assault rifles, classic rifles, WW1 and WW2 rifles, and DMRs. Popular airsoft rifles include the Airsoft AR 15, Airsoft AK, Airsoft FN SCAR, Airsoft M14, and the Airsoft SIG MCX. L85 / SA80 airsoft rifles are very popular in the United Kingdom, while the FAMAS airsoft rifle is most sought after in the French airsoft community. We separate airsoft rifles from airsoft submachine guns (SMG), which are compact rifles so if you can’t find what you’re looking for in our rifles section, it might be in our SMG section.
Still not sure what to choose? Read our list of Best Airsoft Rifles.
Useful Airsoft Rifle Resources?
If you are considering buying an Airsoft rifle, use these RedWolf Resources for more information.
Best AK Airsoft Rifles: https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/blog/12-best-airsoft-ak47-rifles
Using a Scope with an Airsoft Rifle: https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/blog/how-to-adjust-a-rifle-scope
Best Airsoft DMRs: https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/blog/10-best-dmrs-for-2022
Best Airsoft AEGs: https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/blog/best-airsoft-aegs
How Far Can Airsoft Rifles Shoot?: https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/blog/how-far-can-airsoft-guns-shoot